9 steps to get your coffee machine ready.
How do you turn on a commercial espresso machine and grinder?
1. Turn on machine. This will take approximately 20 to 25 minutes to reach operating temperature.
2. Once heated : Press the coffee dispenser button on the front of the machine to run water through the group head and check that the water spirals out. This must be completed for each group head.
3. Lock the group handle into the group head and run approx. 60mls of water through each. This helps flush out any stagnant water that has been sitting in the pipes overnight. It also heats the group handle which is vital in producing good crema.
4. Turn on the steam arm to full pressure and release steam for approx 10 seconds. This will expel any condensation build up in the steam wands.
5. Turn on the water outlet and remove approx. 300ml of water. This ensures that any carbon build up sitting in the pipes is flushed through and that fresh water is now in the boiler.
6. Fill hopper with fresh beans.
7. Grind a small amount of coffee into the dosing chamber.
8. Check the grind by measuring out a double shot of coffee into a filter basket and making two espresso coffees. Check the extraction rate: it should be 30-35mls extracted in 25-30 seconds.
9. Adjust the grind if necessary